Amazon offers a unique remarketing advertisement tool ‘Sponsored Display Ads’ which gives you control over who or what your ad is targeting and where your ad can appear. Sponsored Display provides you with a self-service display advertising solution that can be accessed through the advertising console or Seller Central. A sponsored Display ad helps you to reach relevant audiences and grow your business and brand on Amazon by engaging shoppers across the purchase journey in channels on and off the Amazon marketplace.
However, it is not being run by a lot of advertisers yet because many are not sure how it works and how to use it. That is why we have created this comprehensive guide to Sponsored Display Ads on Amazon. We will be covering the following questions and topics:
Table of Contents: ShowHide
What are Sponsored Display Ads on Amazon?
Amazon Sponsored Display ads are a way to retarget and re-engage shoppers to your listing with auto-generated, product-focused ads on Amazon and third-party websites. It is helpful for all the advertisers that sell on Amazon who is registered with Amazon Brand Registry. It provides those sellers with powerful ad placements on the Amazon home page, product detail pages, shopping result pages, third-party websites, and apps. Amazon Sponsored Display Ads appear on desktops, mobiles, and the Amazon app.
Where do Sponsored Display Ads appear?
Sponsored Display ads can appear both on and off Amazon. Amazon Display ads appear on the Amazon home page, search result pages, product detail pages on desktop, mobile depending on the display ad targeting option you choose, as well as third-party websites and apps owned or partnered with Amazon. Display ads appearing on Amazon can be also be seen on Customer Review Pages and Top of Offer Listing Pages.
How do I set it up?
You need to register your brand with Amazon Brand Registry to be able to run Sponsored Display ads. Once that is set up you can create and run this type of ad by following these simple steps:
- Step 1: Log in to your Seller Central account and click on “Campaign Manager” under the Advertising tab.
- Step 2: Click “Create Campaign”
- Step 3: Click on “Sponsored Display” under “Choose your campaign type.”
- Step 4: Create the settings for your campaign. Enter in your campaign name, date range, daily budget, and ad group name.
- Step 5: Choose your targeting option. You can choose between “Audiences” and “Product Targeting.” Your options for audiences include “Views”, “Searches”, and “Purchases.”
- Step 6: Select the products you want to advertise (via the product name or ASIN) and set your per-click bid. Amazon automatically generates the ad creatives for your campaigns based on the targeting type. Next, you decide where you want your ads to be displayed on Amazon. Amazon will show you how your ad would look like before launching it.
- Step 7: Preview your Sponsored Display Ad and then submit the campaign.
Amazon Display Ads are retail aware, which means they only show up when your products are in stock and the ‘Featured Offer’. Once the products are out of stock or not the Featured Offer, the ads will automatically stop. These ads use Amazon’s audience demographics data to target shoppers in the market based on their shopping behavior. The audiences are created automatically based on Amazon shopping insights. Sponsored display ads allow you to show your ad to consumers who have previously viewed your product or similar products, used search terms relevant to your product categories, or purchased from you.
The billing model for sponsored display ads is a cost per click (CPC). That means you only pay for an ad when a potential customer clicks on your display ad. You can control how much to spend by setting up your daily ad budget and bid per click. The highest bidder wins and pays the highest CPC, but it may not be their bid amount. The bid they pay is only $0.01 more than the 2nd highest bidder.