Google Shopping Competitive Pricing Intel for Food & Beverages

April 2, 2021
| READ 6 MIN
Google Shopping Competitive Pricing Intel for Food & Beverages Download PDF
competitive pricing intel for Food & Beverage

In the shopper’s journey retailers can stand out through price competitiveness which helps to improve product buy-ability. Our GrowByData experts collected highly competitive broad-match-type opportunity keywords for the seed keyword “Food and Beverages” in Google Shopping. Google SERP data, product information, and retailers’ price data were collected and analyzed using our Product Price Intelligence solution for the month of February 2021. From the analysis in this category throughout the month, we found more than 26K price changes on over 6,300 products from 577 brands, sold by nearly 3,000 sellers.

We analyzed the SERP data for this category to find out the retailers with the greatest number of price changes, retailers with the lowest prices, and retailers providing the most product options. We also examined the data to see what days of the week retailers/brands were lowering their prices versus raising them.

Most Visible and Competitive Retailers

The retailers that provided the most options in terms of Food and Beverage choices were eBay, with close to 1K products, followed by Walmart, with over 700 options. Foodservicedirect.com, Rebel Smuggling Galactic Emporium, and Grocery.com rounded out the top 5 retailers.

The price change data also showed that eBay was the retailer with the highest percentage of price changes, although they also had the most product options. They had 10% of the total price changes on 979 products. Fishpond was the retailer with the most aggressive pricing strategy since they had 8% of the total price changes for the month on less than 300 SKUs.

Top Retailers & Competitors By SKU Count - Pricing intel

Most Visible Brands

The top brand that provided the greatest number of Food and Beverages options was D’Artagnan with 45 products, followed by Ocean Spray, with 42 products, and Sparkling Ice with 41 products. Although Ocean Spray had less product visibility, they were by far the most competitive brand, recording 5% of the price changes in the category. This means they had an aggressive dynamic pricing strategy compared to their competitors. Ocean Spray and Sparkling Ice were the only two brands to make the top 5 in terms of SKU count as well as price changes during the month.

Top Brands & Competitor by SKU Count - Pricing Intel

Most Competitive Price Range

We found the most competitive price range was between the $0-$50 price range, where 87% of price changes occurred on 74% of distinct SKUs. The price range between $50-$100 was the least competitive, with only 7% of the total price changes occurring on 16% of food & beverages products. The price range Above $150 had 4% of the total price changes on 6% of the products.

Most Competitive Price Range - Food & Beverage

Best Deals for Shoppers

The answer to where you may find a good deal on Food and Beverages was on eBay. Their products were priced the lowest on 28% of products during February. Foodservicedirect.com and Goldbelly came in 2nd and 3rd, having the lowest priced SKUs on 21% and 18% of the products respectively during the same period.

Best Deals - Pricing Intel of Food

Best Weekday for Shoppers

Per our pricing analysis data, for the most competitive day of the week, we found that Monday was the best day of the week for the availability of lower prices on Food and Beverage products. The prices were lowered 58% of the time and raised just 42% of the time, providing a chance to find products at a lower price on this day. Tuesday was found to be the day of the week when prices were raised 58% of the time and lowered 42% of the time, meaning products were typically higher priced on this day in comparison to other days in the week. Monday and Thursday were the only days that saw prices being lowered more often than being raised.

Most Competitive Day of The Week - Food & Beverage

Top Products Carried by Most Sellers

The top 5 highly visible products for the category ‘Food and Beverages’ sold by the highest number of sellers are shown below:

Top Sellers - Food & Beverage

Recommended reading – Google Shopping Analysis On Various Categories

Learn how Marketing Intelligence with unified insights into search engines, marketplaces & product experience powers smarter & faster eCommerce growth?

Schedule a Free Demo

GrowByData Content Team

Team of Data Analyst, Business Analyst, and Project Managers with years of experience in data analysis and online retail industry

Don't Forget to share what you have learned

Like Our Content?

Receive Latest Insights In Your Inbox